Who Puts This Gig On?
The Jazz Society’s Cathedral Park Jazz Festival ™ is organized and produced by the Jazz Society of Oregon ™, an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to the support, growth and enjoyment of Jazz music.
Who Is It For?
JSO’s ™ Cathedral Park Jazz Festival is for everyone of all ages in the Portland-Vancouver metropolitan area and across the states of Oregon and Washington. It’s a chance for all regions, neighborhoods and ethnic groups to come together in a magnificent outdoor setting and enjoy a weekend highlighting two highly influential, uniquely American, and closely related forms of music: Jazz and Blues. Of course, if you’re just passing through, you’re especially welcome–we want you to tell everyone how we do it in the Northwest!
The Jazz Society Cathedral Park Jazz Festival is completely free. Bring your whole family. Come with friends and neighbors. Meet someone new. Free will donations are welcome and encouraged to help us defray costs, but it’s completely up to you.
For your convenience and safety, the Jazz Society provides:
- Wide variety of food carts
- Beer Garden for adults 21 and over (photo ID required)
- Bottled water for a nominal fee
- Portable restrooms, including ADA accessibility
- ATM machine
- Minor first aid
- Event security
What to bring:
- Photo ID if you plan to purchase alcoholic beverages
- Sunscreen and a hat
- Low-profile lawn chair–if your chair is more than 12″ from the ground, please sit towards the back where you will not block someone’s view
- Your personal camera — see photography guidelines below
- Rain gear if rain is forecast (the Festival goes on rain or shine)
- Strollers are allowed
What NOT to bring:
- No professional cameras (i.e., those with interchangeable lenses) — see photography guidelines below
- No Frisbees in the Festival area (sorry, they lead to collisions)
- No tents or canopies (sorry, they block the view and take up too much space)
- No umbrellas unless rain is forecast
The Jazz Society’s Cathedral Park Jazz Festival is a family-friendly event open to the public. To ensure the safety of all patrons, performers, staff members, and the environment, we ask that you follow these Rules & Guidelines.
- No alcohol may be brought onto the Park property. Beer and wine may only be purchased and consumed in the Beer Garden for those 21 years-and-older with picture ID. Open alcohol containers are not allowed in the park.
- No smoking–this includes the use of tobacco, marijuana and smoking in any form anyplace in any park.
- No fires or fireworks
- All dogs and animals must be on leash and picked up after. The Festival organizers ask that you please leave your pets at home, except for service animals. If you must bring your pet, please have consideration for other patrons and sit at the edges of the park.
- No guns or weapons or any kind
- No camping
Please note that city ordinances are strictly enforced by the local police.
Personal photography and audio taping at the Festival are permitted — unless the performing artist requests otherwise (we’ll notify you from the stage). However, there are no designated areas for photography and videotaping so please be considerate. Recording devices must be self-contained since we do not provide AC outlets or patches to the soundboard. Professional video or audio recordings are not allowed without the express written consent of the the Jazz Society of Oregon and the performing artists.
The number of parking spaces near the Park are limited. We encourage you to use public transportation if possible.
A limited number of handicap parking places are available. The Festival is wheelchair accessible on the paved walkways. Please note that most of the park is a grassy area. Handicap accessible portable restrooms are provided on the Festival grounds.
Cathedral Park is about 9 miles from downtown Portland and 8 miles from downtown Vancouver. Travel time is about 15 minutes by car from either starting point.
FROM THE NORTH
Take I5 south to the Interstate exit. Continue on Interstate to Lombard St. Turn right on Lombard and continue to N. Alta Ave. Turn left on Alta and continue to Cathedral Park. The Festival area is enclosed by N. Alta Ave., N. Crawford St., N. Pittsburg Ave. and N. Edison St. Please note: N. Crawford street between N. Pittsburg Ave. and N. Baltimore Ave. will be closed due to the Festival. Food vendors and other festival activities will be held on the street.
FROM THE SOUTH
Take I5 north to I405 north. Continue on 405 to the State Highway 30 exit. Continue on 30 to the St. Johns bridge. Cross the bridge, which becomes Philadelphia Ave. Continue on Philadelphia to Ivanhoe St. Turn left on Ivanhoe and go one block to Alta Ave. Turn left on Alta and continue to Cathedral Park. The Festival area is enclosed by N. Alta Ave., N. Crawford St., N. Pittsburg Ave. and N. Edison St. Please note: N. Crawford street between N. Pittsburg Ave. and N. Baltimore Ave. will be closed due to the Festival. Food vendors and other festival activities will be held on the street.
JSO, Jazz Society of Oregon, JazzScene, CPJazz and Cathedral Park Jazz Festival are trademarks of the Jazz Society of Oregon, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation.